Friday, February 17, 2012

A collaboration with Shady EL Dali in Egypt

Shady El Dali   /Kristof Persyn 2008

In the years 2007 and 2008 I have collaborated with the Egyptian Actor and visual artist Shady El Dali in Cairo and across his country.  Togheter we've created Cairo Nightnotes &     The Nile Song and toured in Egypt and The Netherlands.  

In the years before Egypt's revolution, Shady El Dali's art was already a form of protest.  His personal way of activism resonated well with my own ideals and artistic aspirations.  

From my Egyptian Collegues I learned how opposing forces -such as cencorship, poverty, corrupt art shools, no political support, lack of logistics and social discouragment- are not reasons to give up on art.  During the revolution on Tahrir Square I recognised Shady's urge and courage among all Egyptians in their will to break bounderies.  And art has an important role in there.  

About me

My photo
Earthly Astronaut + Theatre Initiator + Metamorphotographer + Global Activist + Story Collector + Mythmaker + Maskings & Feathercraft = A part of me.